Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Day One

Last year a friend of mine asked me to attend a parenting class with her called, "Shepherding a Child's Heart." I had heard of a book by the same title, had read a few chapters, and knew that it wasn't really for me, so I told my friend that I wasn't really interested. Her friend, Chelsea Cameron, was teaching the class and I was invited repeatedly. The day before the class started, my friend asked me once again to be supportive of her friend, Chelsea, and go to the first class and I agreed . What I didn't expect was to sob for 2 hours as Chelsea spoke to a room of about 250 women. I had no idea how parched my soul was, how dry my faith was, or how desperate my situation with my children had become. After that first class, I only missed one class because a vacation was unavoidable! When the class ended in April I feared that I would slip back into my old ways. By the end of Summer I felt like an alcoholic that had fallen off the wagon and needed to go back to rehab! Well today rehab began once again and this time I didn't cry. I am not at the same place that I was a year ago and I"m grateful for that. I am a work in progress and God isn't finished with me yet. I have learned a lot and I have a lot to learn! I'm excited to share a small snipit of what grabbed my heart today.


Matthew 7:24-27
"If everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."
That rocked me today. I've been fighting for a long time knowing what I'm supposed to do, but refusing to do it. I know the truth, I know what God commands, but I'm lazy and disobedient and I hate it. Hearing these words today and the complete passage struck me that sometimes I am a foolish mom who is building my kids upon the sand - and spending a Summer at the beach, I know how shifty sand is! I know that I need more self control, I know that I need more kindness, yet I fall time and time again. It's foolish. I know that the only solid foundation for a life, a home and a family is upon the Rock of Jesus Christ. Everything else will fail. I must get back to a place where I listen to "these words of mine," the Words of God, and put them into practice as I raise my children. God has called me to a phenominal responsibility of shaping the lives of 3 little people and if I am raising them in my lack of self control, my anger and my frustrations, then I am setting them up to fail. But if I am raising them based on the truths found in the Bible, receiving God's grace daily as I am only human!, and teaching them to have a heart that follows hard after Jesus, then I know their foundation will be solid and the future storms of their lives will not overcome them, but they will walk through them with Christ.

2 comments:

  1. and i love this! i'll be soaking up every word since i can't do it in person this year. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for blogging about this. Gretchen shared with me yesterday about the class and it sounds wonderful. I can't go myself, so it's great to be able to learn from your notes :)

    ReplyDelete